So far we have seen that Android memory cleaners are very effective and guarantee better mobile performance. However, if you want to maintain good phone memory health and clean Android thoroughly, follow these tips:
Delete all the apps you don’t use
The first step to take is to delete all the apps that you don’t use from your mobile . And it is that many times applications that are needed are installed at a certain time and then they are not deleted from the phone for whatever reason. This is the procedure to follow to delete apps on Android:
- Enter the Google Play Store.
- Click on the drop-down menu at the top left and select the option “My applications and games.”
- A list with all installed apps will appear. Click on the one you want to delete.
- Finally, click on “Uninstall”.
Of course, you must bear in mind that everything you delete can be reinstalled whenever you want. And if it is a paid app, don’t worry; you will not have to pay it again.
Free up storage space on WhatsApp
Without a doubt, WhatsApp is one of the applications that uses the most space on the mobile. The reason is all the multimedia files that are sent in chats and groups and that remain in the memory of the terminal. Luckily, the latest WhatsApp updates include a new function to delete files that will help you free up storage space. The steps to follow are:
- Open WhatsApp and click on the “Settings” tab.
- In the new screen, enter “Storage and Data”.
- Then click on “Manage Storage”. Here you can see how much space WhatsApp uses with respect to the total memory, the sum in GB of all the files and how much each chat occupies.
- Now, select a specific chat or go to the “More than 5MB” or “Forwarded many times” sections.
- To delete a file, click on “Select” and choose the elements you want to delete. You can also click on “Select all” to go faster.
- Then, click on the trash can icon and on “Delete items”. You already have it!
Delete videos and photos
Photos and videos have a great weight within the memory of the mobile. Both types of files are usually saved in the gallery or in Google Photos, an app that is pre-installed at the factory on many Android models.
Within the application you will find files downloaded from the Internet, those received by WhatsApp and all the photos and videos that are taken with the mobile camera, among other albums. And how do you delete files in Google Photos? This is what you should do:
- Open Google Photos and go to the “Albums” section that you will see at the bottom of the app. Inside it you will see all the folders: camera, screenshots, WhatsApp, etc.
- Next, go into the folder you want, select all the photos and videos you want to delete and press the trash icon .
- If you want to delete an entire album, enter the folder and click on the button with three dots located at the top right. Once done, select “Delete device folder.” But beware, this process is irreversible and removes all files instantly.
- On the other hand, if you have opted for the first option, the deleted photos will be moved to the «Trash» folder, where they will be stored for 60 days.
- To delete them permanently, open the drop-down menu and click on “Empty Trash”. And ready!
In this sense, we recommend that you check the mobile albums from time to time and delete everything that is not essential: duplicate photos, blurred photos, screenshots, memes that are sent to you by WhatsApp, etc. And if after doing so you still lack space, make a backup copy of what you want on the SD card or on your computer and then delete it from the internal memory of the mobile.
Delete downloaded content on Netflix or Spotify
Downloading music from Spotify or watching Netflix offline means that the internal storage will fill up quickly, since the downloaded files are usually large. Our suggestion is that you delete the downloaded content if you are not going to listen / see it immediately, since the offline download process is very fast and you will always be in time to download it again. This is how you should proceed in each case:
- Open the app and select the “Downloads” section located at the bottom of the screen.
- To completely remove a series or a movie, swipe left on the title and press the red cross.
- On the other hand, if you only want to delete a specific chapter , click on the title of the series to see all the downloaded episodes. Repeat the above process with those that you no longer want or have already seen.
- Go to the “Your Library” tab and see if you have a list with the green download icon .
- If so, open this list and click on the drop-down menu with the three dots.
- Among all the options that appear, click on “Remove download”.
- Spotify will ask you if you want to delete the content. Select “Withdraw” to confirm the process.
On the other hand, if you have a Wi-Fi network or an unlimited data rate, the best option is to enjoy the content online. The same happens with other streaming services, such as Apple Music, Deezer, Prime Video or HBO Spain, among others.
Clear the cache of your phone and apps
Another of the most important measures to optimize the operation of the device is to clear the cache. If you remember, the cache stores all the user’s browsing and search data, either within the system or in the applications themselves. You can remove it as follows:
- With the mobile turned off, access the “Recovery Mode”. We recommend that you consult how to do it with your mobile in our post clear Android cache .
- Once you get in, select the “Wipe Cache Partition” option.
- Upon completion, this process will have completely cleared the system cache.
- Enter the Android settings and then “Storage”.
- In the new screen, click on “Cached data”.
- Next, the system will ask you if you are sure to delete the cache. Accept to confirm the process.
- And if you only want to clear the cache of a specific app, go to «Settings»> «Manage Applications», choose the app that interests you and press «Clear Cache».
Format your phone
At this point it is possible that the mobile still does not work properly, even after having thoroughly cleaned all its memory. In these cases, you have one last emergency solution: restore factory settings. To do this, you must format the mobile from the following three steps:
- Enter the phone settings .
- Scroll down until you find the option “Factory Data Reset” or “Factory Data Reset.”
- Click on “Reset phone.” And ready!
From this point on, the formatting process will start automatically. In some cases it may take a while, but once completed, the device will have the same appearance and configuration as when you purchased it. Of course, remember to make a backup before formatting.